Tuesday, September 19

Mondays shocker

Monday night was a shocker

It started with an elderly lady who I have taken before and she is a real pain in the butt. She goes from Balcatta to Dianella and she will tell you she doesn't have a lot of money and please don't rip her off by going the long way. The trouble is her sense of direction is shocking especially considering it is a trip she does in both directions at least twice a week. She constantly tells you you should be going the other way ie behind you. If it was anyone else you would turn around and go where they believed you should be going until such time as they realised there mistake and agreed to shut up and let you do the driving but she is on a pension and doesn't have a subsidy book so you try to be patient with her and get her home as quickly as possible.

Now this time she kept on and kept on that I was going the wrong way right until she saw the local supermarket and now realising where she was she took a new tack. "Ooooh you are charging me too much I don't think I have that much" Referring to the amount on the meter. Now she has too know what the trip is worth because as I say she does it twice a week so I patiently explain that I only charge what is on the meter and I can't do anything about that etc etc. But it gets better. She pulls a $10 note out and announces that is all she has. What am I supposed to do ?? If she was a younger person I would turn around and take her part way back and make her walk but shes got to be at least 80 so that is out of the question. The total fare is $18 so I'm short $8 I tell her she knows what its worth and shouldn't have called the cab if she couldn't afford it but she uses her age to her advantage very well and insists I stop the cab which conveniently has just turned into her street. I haven't even stopped when her door is open and she is reach for her handbag and stepping out. What can I do?? So I resign myself to losing the $8 although if I see her again I will be making sure I get the $8 and the fare before we go anywhere.


Update: I picked her up again this week (24/10/2006) and after more fruitless driving around we did find her daughters house and I was paid the fare owing for that nights trip with an agreement to return the following night for the $8. The next night when I returned I got talking to her daughter who told me they are aware of the problem with their mother and are trying to deal with it. It seems she makes the same trip every day.

I felt sorry for the daughter as I explained to her last nights taxi fare should have been $6.00 all told but not having an address and having to play tour guide hoping a familiar sight would jog the old lady's memory it ended up being $22.

I hope they find a solution soon in the mean time if I see her again at least I have an address.

0 comments: