Thursday, September 7

Can you take me to ..... It's just 'round the corner

I stopped in Leederville tonight as is my habit on a wednesday for a mid shift kebab. To reduce the number of times someone would ask "Can you take me to.....?" I always park in the rear car park. Unfortunately so do a large number of club goers. So I get my kebab and am eating it at the cab when I get asked the inevitable question but this time with a twist. The conversation went something like this.

girl: Hey could you take me to xxx street in wembley and can I get half your kebab?
me: No and No.
girl: Yeah okay forget the kebab bit but can you still take me?
me: No I'm eating.
guy: Yeah he's too busy stuffing his face to take us.
me: For your information I've been driving since 6 o'clock and this is my 1st break.
guy: So you should keep going, make money, people want to get places.
me: Too bad if they do I'm on a break.


Not only would it have been a $7 fare if I had taken them but she wants half my kebab thrown in with the deal. I have to say that was a new 1 for me I've never been asked that before.

The problem with these people is they think that because they only want to go a few kay's we wont mind taking them. When in reality they are exactly the fares we are trying to avoid while we have a break and something to eat. On the rare occasion I have agreed to take someone while I've had a kebab the fare has been worth the interruption. 2 such examples being Leederville to Quinns Rocks approx $50 and Leederville to Rockingham approx $75 but I agreed to do it for $60.

1 friday night I stopped and foolishly parked in front of the kebab shop I was asked 15 times in 5 minutes "Can you take me ......?" Even when I explained it was my first break in 9 hours and 300+km of driving they still didn't get the hint trotting out the "It's only 'round the corner"

So if you see a cabbie standing outside his cab, kebab in hand say "G'day!" but don't ask him to take you somewhere.

0 comments: